“I would often say that the risk of a blood clot forming with birth control pills is similar to a really serious reaction to penicillin,” said an obstetrician-gynecologist, Dr. Regan Macdonald-Mosley said. And CEO of Power of Decide, a group dedicated to reducing unintended pregnancy. She often discusses blood clotting risk with her patients, telling them about increased risk and the overall magnitude of that risk. Most patients said, choose their form of birth control based on other births.
- On April 13, 2021, US health agencies called for an immediate halt in the use of Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose Kovid-19 vaccine after six recipients in the United States received blood within one to three weeks of vaccination. A rare disorder associated with clots developed.
- All 50 states, Washington DC And Puerto Rico temporarily prohibits the use of vaccines to paused or recommended providers. The US military jointly runs vaccination sites, and a host of private companies, including CVS, Walgreens, Reit Aid, Walmart, and Publix, also stopped the injections.
- Less than one in a million Johnson & Johnson vaccinations are now under investigation. If there is indeed a risk of blood clots from the vaccine – which has not yet been determined – then this risk is extremely low. The risk of acquiring Kovid-19 is far greater in the United States.
- The stagnation can complicate the nation’s vaccination efforts at a time when many states are experiencing an increase in new cases and are trying to overcome vaccine inhibition.
- Johnson & Johnson has also decided to delay the rollout of its vaccine in Europe, amid concerns over rare blood clots, another blow to Europe’s inoculation push. South Africa, devastated by a more contagious virus variant, suspended the use of the vaccine. Australia announced that it would not buy any supplements.
Penicillin, a widely used antibiotic, causes severe allergic reactions. Between one and five patients for every 10,000 Who takes
For vaccines, however, The threshold for safety is usually higher than other types of drugs. As noted by many researchers, Kovid-19 puts people at risk of severe blood clots, that too – much higher than any perceived estimate of the vaccine effect. But everyone who fails to get vaccinated is not going to get sick.
“The disease, which you get by chance, and the vaccine you get by choice, and that makes it difficult,” Dr. Said Steven Black, a professor of paediatrics at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, who studies vaccine safety.
For other vaccines, the risk of serious adverse events is much lower than birth control pills or penicillin – they typically occur in less than 1 in 100,000 who receive a given vaccine. This rate is “obviously too low, too low for a drug to be tolerated”, said Dr. Kaiser Permanente Vaccine Study Center Director Dr. Said Nicola Klein, who is involved in the vaccine safety datalink study.
Most other vaccines protect against diseases that are rare. In contrast, Kovid-19 is widespread throughout America and many parts of the world. Given the severity of the disease and the ease of its spread, the value of vaccination may be higher than at a time when such trade is commonly considered.