Members of Congress are demanding one of many largest single product recollects in U.S. historical past after a top-selling flea and tick collar was linked to the deaths of nearly 1,700 pets and lots of of accidents to people.
“When we put the collar on, everything changed and was like a switch just flipped,” Alex Jaeger mentioned.
Alex Jaeger and his mom, Eleanor, say two months after they put a Seresto collar on their golden retriever Blake, he developed seizures. They say their veterinarian gave Blake epilepsy treatment, however the canine has by no means been the identical.
“I don’t want anyone to ever go through this,” Eleanor Jaeger mentioned.
Karen Pisano mentioned considered one of her two 4-month-old kittens fell sick inside two days of placing their collars on in August. The legs of her orange tabby, Oscar, started twitching.
“That’s when I became extremely alarmed,” Pisano mentioned.
On a veterinarian’s recommendation, she says she instantly eliminated the collars however Oscar died that night time.
“This poor thing, he didn’t do anything wrong. We didn’t do anything wrong. To see him pass — he didn’t deserve that,” Pisano mentioned.
Seresto collars comprise two totally different pesticides designed to keep at bay fleas and ticks. Retailer Elanco says the collars are protected.
But authorities paperwork obtained by a nonprofit group present greater than 75,000 incidents have been reported to the Environmental Protection Agency because the Seresto collars have been launched in 2012. The incidents vary from pores and skin irritation to seizures and loss of life.
“I mean, the biggest thing that stuck out to me was just how high these numbers are,” mentioned scientist Nathan Donley.
Elanco disputes that, saying “the incident report rate … in the U.S. has been below 0.3%” and the bulk “relate to non-serious effects” corresponding to pores and skin issues.
A company official mentioned the EPA information “cannot be used to draw conclusions on what may have actually caused the issues,” that “a report is not an indication of cause,” and mentioned there’s “no established link between exposure to the active ingredients in Seresto and pet deaths.”
But Congressman Raja Krishnamoorthi desires the collars off the market — not less than quickly.
“I think that it’s only appropriate in this case that the manufacturer do a voluntary recall,” he mentioned. “We look at the situation, investigate and then proceed from there.”
The company mentioned it’s cooperating with the subcommittee however is not going to problem a recall. A recall, a spokesperson advised CBS News, would be up to regulators.