SAN ANTONIO – An in a single day fire in a duplex on the town’s Northwest aspect was solely the newest name in a string of continuous motion for one set of San Antonio firefighters.
When they obtained the decision after 2 a.m. Thursday, they already had been running for about 36 hours straight on every thing from fires to flooding attributable to damaged pipes.
“It’s been tough on everybody, but everybody’s pitched in. Nobody’s been complaining,” stated Lt. David Philipp with SAFD.
When they arrived within the 6700 block of Hickory Springs Drive, it needed to seem to be a nasty case of déjà vu.
The fire in a single aspect of a duplex was certainly one of many who started with individuals utilizing their fireplaces to keep heat.
“There (have) been a lot of these fires,” Philipp stated. “They’ve had these fireplaces going for so long, for so many days.”
The girl who lives within the duplex advised firefighters she began the fire in her fire round 10:30 p.m. Wednesday.
She later woke as much as flames spreading all through her dwelling.
The girl, who was the one one within the dwelling, was in a position to get out safely.
Firefighters had been in a position to keep the fire from spreading to the opposite aspect of the duplex or another properties.
They say a stroke of luck helped them knock down the fire rapidly.
While there are widespread water outages within the metropolis, firefighters had been in a position to faucet right into a working fire hydrant on that avenue.
“We had a lot issues with water supply yesterday. And that’s just because there’s so many leaks,” Philipp stated.
He stated points with fireplaces are fairly widespread, too, however additionally they are simpler to keep away from.
“A lot of them, over the years, they wear down,” Philipp stated. “They have skinny steel in there that permits embers to get into the wall house.
People ought to name in an expert to take a look at their fireplaces earlier than even lighting a match, Philipp stated.
Copyright 2021 by KSAT – All rights reserved.