Facebook blames massive outage on ‘error of our own making’


Facebook on Tuesday blamed the massive outage that hit Instagram, WhatsApp and Messenger customers globally for greater than six hours on what it described as an engineering “error of our own making.”

The outage — which can have value the company as much as $100 million in lost income — was triggered when Facebook engineers have been attempting to conduct “a routine maintenance” job, Santosh Janardhan, Facebook’s vp of infrastructure, wrote in a blog post.

The engineers issued a command “with the intention to assess the availability of global backbone capacity, which unintentionally took down all the connections in our backbone network, effectively disconnecting Facebook data centers globally,” he stated.

And a instrument that ought to have caught the error earlier than it triggered outages was hindered by a bug that prevented it from intervening, he added.

“This change caused a complete disconnection of our server connections between our data centers and the internet. And that total loss of connection caused a second issue that made things worse,” Janardhan’s rationalization goes on.

That preliminary concern triggered issues with Facebook’s DNS, or Domain Name System, which connects domains to the fitting IP addresses so that folks can entry well-liked web sites.

Earlier this year, an outage at a serious DNS operator took out enormous swaths of the web briefly.

“The end result was that our DNS servers became unreachable even though they were still operational. This made it impossible for the rest of the internet to find our servers,” Janardhan stated.

“All of this happened very fast.”

Facebook staffers have been prevented from rapidly responding to the outage as a result of Facebook’s own inside safety techniques have been affected, in some instances, locking workers out of vital areas.

It was “not possible to access our data centers through our normal means because their networks were down, and second, the total loss of DNS broke many of the internal tools we’d normally use to investigate and resolve outages like this,” Janardhan stated.

“So it took extra time to activate the secure access protocols needed to get people onsite and able to work on the servers. Only then could we confirm the issue and bring our backbone back online.”

And even as soon as the difficulty was recognized and handled, Janardhan stated, Facebook couldn’t convey all of its techniques again on-line without delay as a result of they could crash once more resulting from a surge in site visitors.

The company is reviewing what occurred and searching for methods during which it might enhance the method, he added.

“We’ve done extensive work hardening our systems to prevent unauthorized access, and it was interesting to see how that hardening slowed us down as we tried to recover from an outage caused not by malicious activity, but an error of our own making,” he stated.

“I believe a tradeoff like this is worth it — greatly increased day-to-day security vs. a slower recovery from a hopefully rare event like this.”