SAN DIEGO COUNTY, CA — In honor of Black History Month, the American Red Cross is encouraging eligible donors — particularly those that have recovered from COVID-19 — toin February to honor the legacies of African Americans like Dr. Charles Drew and Dr. Jerome Holland. The two Red Cross leaders made a long-lasting contribution to the group and for sufferers in want of lifesaving blood merchandise.
Drew was the medical director of the primary Red Cross blood financial institution in 1941. His analysis in regards to the storage and cargo of blood plasma proved that blood may very well be saved for transfusions, in response to the Red Cross.
“Many of the processes he developed are still in use today,” the group mentioned in a information launch.
Holland was the primary African American chair of the Red Cross Board of Governors.
“His commitment to providing the safest possible blood products for patients in need helped inform many safeguards the Red Cross has in place today to not only protect patients but also blood donors,” the group mentioned.
Blood drives are being held throughout San Diego County. See an inventory of upcoming blood drives under. There might be temperature checks, mask-wearing and social distancing.
Anyone who donates blood or platelets this February will obtain a $5 Amazon.com reward card by way of e mail, courtesy of Amazon.
- 2/22/2021: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., Chula Vista Elks Lodge, 901 Elks Lane
- 2/25/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Eastlake Community Church, 990 Lane Ave.
- 2/28/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., John D. Spreckels Center, 1019 Seventh St.
- 2/25/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., East County Transitional Living Center, 1527 E Main St.
- 2/18/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., San Dieguito United Methodist Church, 170 Calle Magdalena
- 2/23/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Senator Brian Jones and Escondido Chamber of Commerce, 720 N Broadway
- 2/27/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Escondido East Valley Community Center, 2245 East Valley Parkway
- 2/23/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Christ the King Lutheran Church, 1620 S Stage Coach Lane
- 2/18/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Torrey Pines Church, 8320 La Jolla Scenic Drive N
- 2/24/2021: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Residence Inn, 8901 Gilman Drive
- 2/28/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Albertsons, 8920 Fletcher Parkway
- 2/18/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Oceanside First Presbyterian Church, 2001 El Camino Real
- 2/18/2021: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., Oceanside Masonic Center, 511 Eucalyptus
- 2/20/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Walmart, 705 College Blvd.
- 2/25/2021: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., Oceanside Masonic Center, 511 Eucalyptus
- 2/26/2021: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., North Coast Church, 1710 Montecito Road
- Red Cross Kearny Mesa Blood Donation Center, 4229 Ponderosa Ave., Suite C (See RedCrossBlood.org for hours)
- 2/19/2021: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., T. Claude and Gladys B. Ryan Family YMCA, 4390 Valeta St.
- 2/22/2021: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., First Baptist Church of SD, 5055 Governor Drive
- 2/24/2021: 10:15 a.m. – 3:45 p.m., Rock Church City Heights, 4001 El Cajon Blvd.
- 2/24/2021: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Rock Church, 1370 W San Marcos Blvd.
What to learn about giving blood
All blood varieties are wanted. Interested in donating? Download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, go to RedCrossBlood.org or name 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) for extra info or to make an appointment.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two different types of identification are required at check-in.
Individuals who’re 17 in most states (16 with parental consent the place allowed by state legislation), weigh a minimum of 110 kilos and are in usually good well being could also be eligible to donate blood. High faculty college students and different donors 18 and youthful even have to satisfy sure peak and weight necessities.
Donors can save time at their subsequent donation by utilizing RapidPass to finish their pre-donation studying and well being historical past questionnaire on-line, on the day of their donation, earlier than arriving on the blood drive.