A fire at the Cosmopolitan Las Vegas Saturday evening was brought on by a visitor utilizing candles close to an open sliding door in a lodge room, authorities mentioned.
Clark County firefighters have been referred to as at 7:57 p.m. to the Strip property, 3708 Las Vegas Blvd. South, after a report of smoke on the 51st flooring and located what officers initially described as a balcony on fire, in keeping with a press release from the fire division.
The flooring was evacuated whereas firefighters extinguished the blaze. Multiple individuals have been taken to Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center with minor accidents.
Clark County Deputy Fire Chief Warren Whitney mentioned the fire brought about little or no injury.
“The occupant of the room, they had candles lit and they had the sliding door open and it was windy,” Whitney mentioned. “The wind blew a curtain into a candle and ignited the curtain.”
Whitney mentioned somebody, believed to be an occupant of the room, put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.
“It wasn’t actually a balcony fire,” Whitney mentioned, correcting the preliminary report. “It was an interior fire.”
Whitney mentioned the fire burned up a curtain. The fire division initially questioned why a sprinkler system didn’t go off within the room, however investigators decided that the wind was blowing so arduous that it saved temperatures cool within the room, holding the sprinkler system from activating.
“Very little damage,” Whitney mentioned.
The Cosmopolitan issued a press release concerning the fire.
“The fire started at approximately 8 p.m. within a guest room of Boulevard Tower,” the property mentioned, including “Guests were immediately alerted through the resort’s emergency response program and proper evacuation procedures were used. At The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the safety and security of our guests and employees remains our top priority.”
Contact Glenn Puit by e-mail at [email protected] Follow @GlennatRJ on Twitter.